Sunday, October 11, 2009

The start of something big...

OK, we just moved into a new townhouse. Well, it's not exactly new - it's 12 years old - but it's new to me. It's me and my two boys, whom I call Boogie and Spesh. The older one, Boogie, is on his way to becoming the next Quentin Tarantino, and the little one, Spesh, is never without a smile on his face (and a stain on his shirt). They are fabulous, intelligent boys -- I wouldn't trade them for anything. I just wish they knew how to do something other than eat and Xbox (yes, that's a verb in this house -- it implies that they are actively "doing" something).


And then there are the two dogs, whom I often refer to as Dammit 1 and Dammit 2.
Their real names are Kaya and Kiba, but sometimes all I can say is "Dammit!" (Ya know, after you see a chewed up sandal or a carefully hidden pile of poop in your closet.)


Anyway, it's the 5 of us in the house, and we are getting settled in. I've given myself some goals and objectives for the next 12 months. And hitting each one of those monthly goals will make this house a home that much faster. (Right now, it's a just four walls and roof of debt!)

There's no particular order to the goals right now, it's basically just a list at this point. The first task to tackle is (drum roll.....): Giving to Others. Don't get me wrong, I donate things all the time, but usually it's crap I don't want anymore (shirts and jeans from 1985 or the pair of socks with the holes in them -- crappy stuff like that). Starting this month, though, I'm putting together a stack of things that I do still want, but have no room or use for: Some really nice furniture, Gap jackets the boys have outgrown or never even wore, a blender I never used, etc...
I'm proud of myself. I feel like the stuff I'm giving away will maybe go to a family that really needs them. As I get more settled into the house, and unpack the boxes that are waiting in the garage, I hope to find more things to donate to a needy household. Why don't you take an afternoon to walk through your home too? Pack some things in a box and call The American Rescue Workers, or the Salvation Army or your own local charity. You'll feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment